It is the responsibility of this team to maintain the building and grounds. To do this takes a lot of volunteer coordination between the Building and Grounds (B & G) Team, church administrator and staff, and the congregation.
The Building and Grounds Team meets bi-monthly on the second Tuesday at 7:00 pm (December and summer months may be excluded). Team members should be able to work together to find solutions to a variety of issues ranging from heating to roofing, electrical, and plumbing repairs, as well as the outdoor maintenance of the grounds, and also with due consideration of the need for upkeep of the overall appearance. It is a plus for B & G Team members to be willing to volunteer labor on occasion to help save on costs.
It takes significant funds and volunteer teamwork to maintain our building and grounds. Maintaining our house of worship is part of the mission of Hope Presbyterian Church.
Among the duties of B & G are:
- Determining the scope of work to be done and whether or not the team feels the work can be performed by qualified church members or whether it should be posted for bids and contracted out to a qualified contractor.
- Contracting vendors in coordination with the church administrator.
- Obtaining bids and making recommendations on projects ranging from electrical wiring, to new roofs to new furnaces to building lighting replacement.
- Obtaining bids and making recommendations for such services as cleaning, lawn care, and snow removal.
- Yearly inspection of building and grounds, reviewing findings and making recommendations on the annual B and G Team Budget.
- Long range planning for maintenance and improvement of the building and grounds.
Some of the past year's activities include:
- Completing the remodeling of the Nursery Room sink - new countertop raised position to facilitate the SIU Art Express Alzheimer Group Program
- Coordinating the installation of electromagnetic door hold-opens on five fire doors to comply with building fire safety code
- Obtaining bids and coordinating the installation of a new, more efficient heat and air conditioning system for the Library area
- Negotiating with Alderman Joe McMenamin and the Springfield Public Works Department for their consideration of the need for repair of the Wabash Street fence and an adjacent sidewalk/sewer repair issue
- Holding discussion of larger and longer-term building repairs and improvements and the possibility of a capital fundraising campaign
- Coordinating all church work days on June 11th and October 22nd for cleaning and repairs inside and out including preparations for the Hope for the Holidays Art Fair
- Coordinating repair of the east parking lot drainage ditch to include dredging and rock lining for mosquito abatement
- Coordinating a fund drive to purchase and install a mini-split air conditioning unit for the kitchen
The Building and Grounds Team is committed to servicing the building/grounds of our building for congregational use as well as the community use of our building and grounds.